Thursday, November 24, 2011

Day 22

Growing up we always had big Thanksgiving day feasts. When I say big, I mean big. 25 people was a small group for Thanksgiving. So when this year we found ourselves celebrating just the 7 of us, I found it a little sad. I loved cooking...I LOVE cooking...and enjoyed the shopping and chopping and two days of mixing and baking that led up to today. I loved the low stress of playing games with the kids, not having to wait on anyone when the turkey was early and being able to take a nap in the afternoon. It was a lovely day and I have been very thankful.

It did get me thinking though. Why was it so hard up to now, thinking of being "just us"? Tommy nailed it for me. It is the same reason why good-byes are so difficult. It is the same reason why nature is beautiful and unsatisfying all at the same time. There is another world that I long for. I yearn for home, my true and real home. The one that has a place, special, for me, being prepared right now. There is a feast that will be full of thanksgiving and food and family that I desire in the deepest part of me to enjoy. I long for Heaven and to be with Christ and I want it so badly that I try to create it here on earth and Jesus is so good and kind that sometimes He gives us pieces of it, types of it, shadows of reality and they are so good that I lose sight of the truth that what I seek is the Giver of these sweet gifts. The One who purchased me with His blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment