Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day 1

There is nothing very special about today. It is not the beginning of anything but a change of my heart. I am tired. I am tired of feeling afraid, stressed, worried, guilty...you name it! There is only one answer to those feelings that too often lead to sinful actions: Jesus Christ. I need to recognize that I do not know Him like I should. I also need to recognize that I am sinful and need help to spend time in the Word, getting to know my Savior. I have far too many reasons and excuses to find other things to lead me astray. I do not want to do that anymore. If I say that I believe the Bible and it says in Deuteronomy 8:3 "And he humbled you and let you hunger...that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD." then I should live as though I believe this, hungering for the Word and feeding myself, everyday!

If you haven't guessed yet, I am making a commitment to spend time in the Word everyday for the next year and to blog about it. I am fearful even as I write this.
  • What if I can't do this? It is hard enough to write this first blog.
  • What if you see my commitment and feel burdened and then it becomes some legalistic law you become bound to? or that I become bound to?
  • What if I become proud because people like what I write?
  • What if God isn't impressed by my devotion and doesn't change my life into perfection?
NO MORE! I want to know Christ! I do not want to be enslaved any longer to fears and doubt and worry. No more excuses. If I can feed my kids food-I can make time to feed myself the Bread of Life. If I can check Facebook-then I have time to read a chapter of the Living and Active Word of God. If I have time to put clothes on-I have time to be transformed by the renewal of my mind.

My point is that even if I don't have time to even get dressed, that's ok if my priorities are where they should be, with my heart and my mind focused on the Giver and Sustainer of Life. If we all have to pick laundry out of a crumpled pile on the couch, my family may overlook it if I my mouth overflows with wisdom and kindness. I know that I will fail and so I am sharing with this small world my desire and commitment to seek first His kingdom. If you don't see a blog...ask me why. I am sure I will have a reason...and it will be a pathetic excuse of putting something else before the worship and adoration of my King and then I will fall on grace again.

Lord hear my prayer:
Psalm 86
A Prayer of David.
1 Incline your ear, O LORD, and answer me,
for I am poor and needy.
2 Preserve my life, for I am godly;
save your servant, who trusts in you—you are my God.
3 Be gracious to me, O Lord,
for to you do I cry all the day.
4 Gladden the soul of your servant,
for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.
5 For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you.
6 Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer;
listen to my plea for grace.
7 In the day of my trouble I call upon you,
for you answer me.

 8 There is none like you among the gods, O Lord,
nor are there any works like yours.
9 All the nations you have made shall come
and worship before you, O Lord,
and shall glorify your name.
10 For you are great and do wondrous things;
you alone are God.
11 Teach me your way, O LORD,
that I may walk in your truth;
unite my heart to fear your name.
12I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
and I will glorify your name forever.
13 For great is your steadfast love toward me;
you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.

14O God, insolent men have risen up against me;
a band of ruthless men seeks my life,
and they do not set you before them.
15 But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.
16 Turn to me and be gracious to me;
give your strength to your servant,
and save the son of your maidservant.
17 Show me a sign of your favor,
that those who hate me may see and be put to shame
because you, LORD, have helped me and comforted me.

2 comments: