Monday, June 11, 2012

Sunday Morning

We were late again. This time when I walked into the youth Sunday School class opening prayer was already finished and Tommy had begun his lesson. I don't like to be late but I smiled and sat down and jumped right in...guilt free and excited to worship through learning God's history.

This is a victory.

I don't know what Sunday mornings are like for you but for the Petersons, it has traditionally been chaotic. There are many reasons why...Tommy leaves before we are generally even dressed to finish up last minute details for the morning. A friend who grew up in a pastor's family was agreeing that it is just different when Sundays are "go-time". Then there is the usually spiritual attacks that happen in so many small things: I notice as I look out the window (just getting out of the shower) that the three year old is walking along the retaining wall outside, or one child has opened the bag of rice krispies and now they are all over the table and floor...you know the little things that test your patience. That is another addition to our chaotic morning, needing to get five young children and myself neat and presentable, ready to worship and at the church by 9:15 am. It is tiring just thinking about it.

Here is where the victory is won. It is not worth it to be angry. Brilliant, I know but it has taken me 10 years to realize that being angry on Sunday morning is not worth it. It is better to be late than angry. It is better to leave the house a mess, than be angry. It is better that the kids are in "casual" clothes, than be angry. Being more concerned about my agenda on Sunday morning, my desires or my expectations only leads to my being angry...preparing my heart and the heart of my children is far more important and valuable than all those other petty concerns.

So yes, I am often late, my kids sometimes are not dressed well and my house is usually a disaster when we leave...I even drive to church sometimes BUT for the first time in 10 years we are consistently joyful when we arrive and we are ready to worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment