Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fireflies

The first time I saw a firefly I was 26 years old and I was driving from Georgia to Kansas. It was July in the south and they were flashing all along the wooded side of the road. I have to admit that I cried. It was amazing. I had never seen anything like it before. Their little green flashes distracted me as we went racing down the highway.

I remember talking about them for the next two weeks. I was enthralled but not just by them...I was awed by their Creator. Miracle of miracles these insects caused me to worship in a spontaneous and uncontainable way. It is a miracle because I hate all other insects. In fact our pastor said it well when he observed that they (insects) represent the fall to me. It's true...they are horrid. Fireflies are in an entirely different category. They represent the wonder and creativity of an all powerful God who delighted in making these creatures that have purpose in the life cycle of this world but whose greatest purpose is to do what they do in my heart: glorify the Creator.

I still love to watch them. Nearly five years later I still can't get enough of them. Even tonight I noticed them out the back window and had to pause just to admire and point them out to Tommy and worship...again.

Genesis 1
24 And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds—livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so.25 And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds and the livestock according to their kinds, and everything that creeps on the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment