Monday, January 2, 2012

Day 61

Everyday it is something. Today was supposed to be a huge prep day for school starting back tomorrow. The Lord had another plan. I made reference a while back about a decision we needed to make and how God had blessed us with an answer. Today a new opportunity came up and we were flung back into the tumult of discerning what would glorify God most out of two very good choices. I am not complaining, I am thankful that both options were good but that was almost more difficult. This consumed our afternoon.

I found myself offering up small, quiet prayers to the Lord as we discussed the options. I wish that these prayers had been bold and out loud. I wish that my personal prayer life was more then it is. I wish that I was more comfortable and determined to take my thoughts and requests to God that it overshadowed my fear of man, fear of rejection, fear of anything. Unfortunately, it is not.

This has been my concern lately. I have been blessed greatly by this daily personal time in the Word but I am  concerned at how quickly it can turn into a good luck charm. During my study of 1 Samuel 4 I was struck with how Israel expressed their "rabbits-foot theology" when they brought the Ark into battle against the Philistines because God was not winning for them. Dale Ralph Davis cautions us today to be wary of this fallacy. If we do what we are supposed to do (read the Bible everyday) then God will bless me and my life will be wonderful. I don't really believe that but it takes work to keep reminding myself that that is wrong thinking. It takes work to renew my mind and counsel myself to seek God because I love Him and study His Word so as to know Him...not to do better for Him, as if to make myself holy. I can't do that on my own. That is the crazy part. I need God's grace to seek God rightly.

Grace Lord, please give my grace. Help me to love you and strengthen this seeking of You in Your Word with seeking You in prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment