Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 60

Today was another interesting day. It was brought to my attention that I sound like I am running out of things to write about. It made me pause and think. Well certainly there are plenty of things that God is exposing and teaching me...why am I not talking about them? A list of reasons raced through my head. It's been busy. I am not feeling well. It is always too late. I realized that those were all excuses. The real reason is that it is painful to confess my sins and failings AGAIN and I have just been too weary to deal with that pain.

Today is a good example. I lost it this morning. Tired and fighting a sinus infection I woke up to four disrespectful children. This has been a growing problem over the last few weeks and it seemed to come to a climax today. I was offended. I was angry. How dare these children continue to talk back to me and Tommy! They know our expectations and they know what the Word says about children honoring their parents. Outrageous! Lets just say that the kids were in tears by the time we left for church and I was horribly ashamed.

These are not things that I enjoy letting you all know. However, I do know that I was wondering if so-in-so ever lost it like I just did...or you-know-who....what I wouldn't give for someone else to be humble enough to confess when, how, and why they lose it. I know there are others out there craving the fellowship of needing grace. So, I am letting you know that I need grace too!

I also want to encourage you because I know God blesses the humble who repent and I was blessed by our Lord through the service today. Constant reminders of how God knows I need grace and it matters so much to Him that He sent Jesus...the sermon was from Hebrews 2:16-18


16 For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. 17 Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18 For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.


So encouraging to someone who was not only tempted but failed. There was also the music.Receive the Glory by Sovereign Grace. All I Have is Christ by Sovereign Grace. and Mercies Anew:


Every morning that breaks
There are mercies anew
Every breath that I take
Is your faithfulness proved
And at the end of each day
When my labors are through
I will sing of Your mercies anew

When I’ve fallen and strayedThere were mercies anew
For you sought me in love
And my heart you pursued
In the face of my sin
Lord, You never withdrew

So I sing of Your mercies anew

And Your mercies, they will never end
For ten thousand years they’ll remain
And when this world’s beauty has passed away
Your mercies will be unchanged

And when the storms swirl and rage
There are mercies anew
In affliction and pain
You will carry me through
And at the end of my days
When Your throne fills my view
I will sing of Your mercies anew
I will sing of Your mercies anew

© 2001 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI)

The morning was just full of these wonderful reminders that the only good that comes from me is actually Christ in me. Fruit from parenting...not me, Christ. Resisting temptation to sin...not me, Christ. Humility to repent...not me, Christ. So as I go to sleep tonight, I will sing of Your mercies anew. Tomorrow morning when I wake up, I will sing of Your mercies anew.

Decision made about what to read this year. I have decided to continue with my slow trek through the Old Testament and Wisdom Literature for the year because, I want to get to the prophets. I have always failed in the past at reading through the Bible and so I never make it to the prophets so I am just going to keep moving on from here and not go back to Genesis yet. For the New Testament though I am going to follow the ESV reading plan called Outreach New Testament. It will take me through the New Testament in 6 months and the plan is to go through it twice. If you need some ideas or help with a plan there are 10 options here that you can follow and they have different ways of reminding you (email, print, google calendar).

2 comments:

  1. I picked from that list of readings. I am doing the Old Testament, New Testament and Psalms. Mainly because I need to start somewhere--so why not the beginning. I found myself meditating on Genesis 1-2 and praising God for his amazing provision through creation.

    I am also in need of that grace on a far too regular basis. Mainly Sunday morning. That seems to be the time things come to a climax. My New Years resolution is more than just a New Years thing and I started about a month ago. I'm making my decisions much more carefully. Not just in regards to the kids but also in regards to food, the way I respond to my husband, my peers, anyone I encounter. Also in the way I spend my time, being more productive. It's been great so far. The only way I stick with it is through LOTS of prayer.

    Everyone's a little happier. The house stays (a little) cleaner. I've lost a few pounds. I've spent more time in the Word. I don't want to make drastic difficult changes. I want to make changes that will last.

    Thank you for your blog my sister! It is an encouragement to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Go Marie...I am excited to hear more of how God is working in you!

    ReplyDelete