Tuesday, April 3, 2012

He Created Her

Today, while being very aware of each time something did not go according to my plan and being aware of my response, God graciously showed me how another common, accepted truth is being challenged in my heart. God is the Creator. I know, you are probably smiling to yourself with raised eyebrows, asking in your heart if I am losing it. No, I am not confessing a disbelief in a basic truth but a incomplete understanding and therefor lack of faith in that truth. God is gracious and patient though and He has sent me two books (one by Tripp and one by Carolyn Mahaney) to help me see in what areas I am fighting Him as Creator.

If God is Creator that means He created each person. He created each specific physical attribute, the shape of my nose, my height, the color of my hair, my ears, etc and He created those traits in my personality as well. He created those things in me and He created them in you and He created them in my family members. Purposefully. Intentionally. With infinite wisdom. He also purposefully, intentionally, with infinite wisdom, created Tommy and gave us five children. Not just any children but the ones that we have. 

I love my children...but they irritate me often. One, irritates me because of how much he is like me. One irritates me because of how much she is not like me. That one God has been using as an instrument of refining lately. God is using this child because I look at her ruining my day, everyday with the same behavior and I am exhausted because I don't know how to respond. She is who God made her to be, we're not talking about sin but who she is and I don't understand. I don't get her and since I don't get it and it's not my way I want to reject it (not her) as something wrong in her that needs to be fixed. How sad. What a terrible confession. I, too often, reject this trait that God has given my daughter...my daughter, the daughter that He purposefully, intentionally, with infinite wisdom made and purposefully, intentionally, with infinite wisdom gave to me.

How should I respond? With love for her and awe for our Creator. He knows how to respond to her and how to love her and He knows that I think my day is being ruined...but it's not. I cannot make this change in me. I cannot try hard enough to respond rightly, with Christ-like love. I need the Holy Spirit's power in me. Lord teach me to love and delight in the unique and special way you have created this girl and help me to embrace you completely as Creator.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, Helen. Praying for you as you learn to celebrate how God created her and how He created you. Fabulous book on that subject is I'm a Keeper by Ray Lincoln if ever you are interested. Love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete