Monday, June 10, 2013

Weather, Celiac, and a Recipe

I am not surprised that the day after I decide to start writing again, life takes over. We had two days of solid rain and by that I mean non-stop down pour. The kids were going nuts and finding a quiet moment was out of the question. Next began a little stomach bug for the baby girls, a busy weekend and here we are Monday already...of course I am dealing with with a great deal of anxiety and instead of talking to all of you about it (yet) perhaps I am subconsciously avoiding. It is my preferred method of dealing with conflict in my life.

Instead of digging deep into some tough stuff I'll keep busy with a new obsession in my life: food. I mentioned earlier that this past October I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. A quick working definition of this disease is, an auto-immune disorder where the body attacks gluten as an antigen leading to a myriad of symptoms and blocking the proper absorption and digestion of needed nutrients. Not fun.

Since October I have learned so much about gluten and food and the food industry. Hidden forms of gluten are everywhere and labels have to constantly be read. Cross contamination is sometimes an issue and items that may be okay at home are not always okay when you go out (McDonald's french fries are cooked in oil that has gluten added to it!) Not so hidden forms of gluten are everywhere too and the most common question I get is: So what do you eat?

This week, I will share it all with you...good and bad (I am moving into a traditional food/nutrient dense diet but am certainly no where I want to be so somethings may look a little inconsistent). Whenever possible I will post recipes along with the menu and explanation for why we do things this way. For example, I have heard it said many times that going gluten free is so easy these days because it is popular. I agree, that does add benefits that were not around even 5 years ago however, we avoid starch as an ingredient to foods, especially baked foods, whenever possible. Starch is the ingredient that turns into sugar when eaten and is just bad for you.

So here we go with Sunday. To make life simpler we stick to the same general meals for breakfast and lunch on a weekly rotation. Meaning every Sunday we have nuts/seeds and fruit on Monday we have muffins or something baked, Tuesday is oatmeal etc.
Breakfast-
  • Water
  • Coffee w/ cream off the top of our raw milk and Sugar-free, Gluten-free hazelnut syrup...yes, one of those ingredients that I know I need to get rid of but just can't yet)
  • Raw seeds and nuts: whatever is on hand, pistachios, almonds, sunflower, pepitas
  • Fruit: local organic cherries from the Farmer's Market
Lunch-
  • Wendy's (yes, we go out to fast food on Sunday's. It is one way for us to make Sunday a little more special for the kids as they get to eat a burger with a bun!)
  • I had the Baja salad without all the extra chips and dressings that they give you.
  • Water to drink
Dinner-
  • Pizza! This week we had taco pizza but usually it is supreme.
  • Water for me, and a sweet drink for the kids (soda or "hugs")

Gluten Free Pizza Crust 
2 Cups Almond Flour
4 TB Garbanzo Bean Flour (I found a great local company that sprouts their beans first)
4 TB Ground Flaxseed
1 Cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese (a binding agent)
1 tsp Onion Powder (real onion works too!)
2 cloves garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
Pinch of salt
2 large eggs (local pastured is best)
4 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Cup water

Preheat oven to 350
Add all the ingredients except the water into your mixing bowl (I use my Kitchen-aid stand mixer) and thoroughly mix on low. Slowly add water until you reach the right consistency...like peanut butter.
*One thing I have come to realize about baking gluten free is that the consistency of everything is different then it's gluten filled counterpart.
Line or liberally oil a 9X13 pan pour in your batter. Next spread the batter evenly with your hands, covering the bottom of the pan and creating a small ridge around the sides.
*I have found that oiled, disposable gloves work best but oiled hands work fine too.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Top as desired!

Our taco pizza was layered taco sauce, refried beans, ground beef, onion and then baked for another 15 minutes. Next we added cheese, lettuce, tomato, olives and guacamole. It was SO good.

Some of our other favorite toppings are bell pepper, spinach, basil, gluten free pepperoni, olives, onion...the possibilities are endless.


No comments:

Post a Comment