Sunday, June 16, 2013

Catch Up!

Tekoa getting royal treatment
More sick children and an injured dog who had to be taken to the vet has caused me to get a bit behind. Providentially there has not been anything particularly exciting in our menu for the last three days.

Thursday
Breakfast-


  • Nitrate free sausage patties
  • Green smoothie - frozen banana, lots of kale, 2 TB flaxseed, frozen strawberries, coconut water and ice
Lunch -
  • Thursday lunches are always Mac and Cheese. I use Annie's Gluten free Mac and Cheese for the kids and Road's End dairy free for Betsy
  • Frozen veggies
  • Apple slices
Dinner - 
  •  Thursday is family night and we often go out to eat. Ihop was have 2 free kids meal for every adult meal so we headed in that direction. They are very accommodating to gluten free needs BUT it is still torture to look at all those pancakes, breads, toast and other wheat filled items!
Kids at Ihop
Friday
Breakfast-
  • Cereal morning for the kids!
  • I take this opportunity to eat something I like...a green smoothie or eggs with things like broccoli or asparagus or other non-traditional breakfast items that were leftover earlier in the week.
Lunch-
  • Nachos! Corn chips, gluten free nacho cheese from Sam's Club, tomato, olives, lettuce...whatever else we could find in the fridge!
Dinner-
  • Date night! We went to Applebee's, not my favorite for gluten free items. I prefer Carrabba's  as they make their food to order and therefore the options are greater, but the Fiesta Chicken Salad was tasty!
Saturday
Breakfast-
  • Apple and pear slices and peanut butter
  • Gluten free muffins from a friend who used black beans instead of flour!
  • Betsy couldn't eat the muffins so she had half an avocado instead
Lunch-
  • Open face peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
  • Salad
  • Blueberries
Dinner-
  • BBQ ribs...not very good. :( It was my first run at cooking ribs on our grill and though the marinade was good (I used a tamari sauce which is gluten free soy) the meat was not cooked well. It will be better next time. 
  • Cauliflower "potato" salad. I used this recipe and it turned out VERY well. I didn't have dill and am not a fan anyways so I substituted fresh basil that I had picked up at the farmer's market that morning. 
  • Steamed green beans from the garden. I steam them first and then fry them up with a little bacon grease. So good!

There you go. A weeks worth of gluten free eating. I am hoping to be adding more recipes as I go. I didn't add the bread recipe yet as I am not satisfied with it. Still needs more tweaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment