Thursday, June 13, 2013

Fishy Wednesday

Today turned out to be a fish filled day. I try to keep variety in our day but it doesn't always happen.

Breakfast-
  • Yogurt (homemade from raw milk) Once I learned how quick and easy it is to make yogurt I started making my own every Tuesday! This is how I started and have adjusted to meet our families tools and needs as I go along. For example, I use a double boiler I have that is also a bowl, so I don't dirty more dishes. When I am finished heating the milk I pour the hot water into a cooler and close the lid to let the whole unit heat up...this is where I put the yogurt to grow all day! It is so yummy!
  • Granola - I use gluten free oats and honey, coconut oil, spices and seeds. My kids don't like all the extra stuff in their granola so I sneak in the sunflower seeds but leave any dried fruit out.
Lunch-
  • Tuna Fish - I always add things to make it more healthy and interesting. Add a Fuji apple chopped small, craisins, seeds, celery, and spinach. You can stuff it in a pepper or avocado or just eat it plain.
  • Gluten Free Multi-grain Crackers
  • Broccoli
  • Sugar Snap Peas
Dinner- It may have been 90+ outside but we wanted to keep it cool inside so we cooked on the grill to keep the heat out.
  • Grilled Cod - 1 bottle GF beer (we use Redbridge since it tastes good and is the most affordable of the GF beers) 2 TB sorghum flour, dill, lemon grass, chives, salt, pepper, lemon. Combine all the ingredients then pour over the fish, let them soak or put directly on grill.
  • Grilled Asparagus - oiled with salt and pepper
  • Grilled Sweet Potatoes - sprinkled with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, orange zest
  • As I was zesting the orange I had an idea - the orange juice and any extra zest, 2 TB coconut oil, 1 tsp honey, cinnamon, ginger, 1 tsp cider vinegar all went into a small sauce pan and I boiled it down to a thick sticky sauce. Poured over the sweet potato fries...it was a great idea!
  • Red leaf lettuce and leftover dressing
I tried taking photos of the kids downing their fish but it just didn't turn out right. We'll try again tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment