Friday, July 13, 2012

Just another day in the life...

This is the problem with taking such a long break from writing. I sit down and there is so much that I would like to share that it is difficult to decide what to write first. I guess I will tell of what has happened most recently and maybe I will be able to go back and maybe not, we'll leave that up to God what He has for me to share. I will also leave to Him any good that may come from my opining.

Three things come to mind that stood out today.

1. We were late for a doctor appointment today. My reaction was the reason that this stands out to me. We were very late...25 minutes late and the office is about 40 minutes from our house. Needless to say, I had a long time to sit in the car and think about how late we were. I was angry. I was angry because it was not my fault that we were late but I was going to be the one who had to interact with the nurses and other office people. I was angry that I was going to have to be at the mercy of someone else's grace for something that I didn't do. I was so angry. I wish that I could say that God made everything right by the time we got there but that isn't the case. I prayed, a lot. I tried to counsel myself too. I have just finished reading The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness by Tim Keller and so I reminded myself that this was just my bloated ego being deflated and the only opinion I should care about is God's opinion. I also reminded myself that I was in good company because Christ suffered on behalf of other people...including ME! I pleaded that He would enable me to accept what He had ordained for me in that office and that I would be humble but I couldn't let go of my anger toward the one who had made us late. We arrived and everyone was so kind and gracious...God's goodness to someone who was and still is so undeserving and when everything was fine I could easily let go of my anger. It was grace from God and blessing but I do wish that the anger would have been let go of before the verdict in the office waiting room.

2. D has strep throat. If you know me very well then you know we use alternative and natural remedies first before we head off to the doctor for tests and antibiotics. Ear infections? Garlic oil. Rest, fluids, garlic and vitamin C are our first defense. Last summer however I tried to fight strep throat on my own and it became scarlet fever. I learned that this is the kind of illness that antibiotics are supposed to be used for.  All that to say I am trusting God for grace to endure this time of trial as I am anticipating more children being sick and wisdom as schedules will be changed, events will be missed and life will have to be even more flexible.

3. Finally we attended a beautiful wedding tonight. It was everything a wedding should be. Two young people who love God, are redeemed by Christ and who are seeking to honor Him in their lives as they begin a life of love and sacrifice. I got all teary-eyed at more then one point. Marriage is so difficult and painful at times. It is frightening how badly we as sinners living together, can hurt each other. On the other hand it is beautiful and freeing to work through those disappointments, unmet expectations and sins with grace and forgiveness and humility to something that is more real and more true and more valuable because it is built on Christ and sustained by Christ.

There you go...my day in a nutshell. I pray the Lord will bless and encourage you through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment