Wednesday, July 18, 2012

John Piper vs. Pierce Brosnan

It was just after this interview that I met John Piper.

We had just finished worshipping at the Throne as we saw God's glory magnified through this man. It was awesome and fearful as Jennie describes. I had to be alone during the break after he finished speaking, but I walked by the interview area and saw this line forming and Dr. Piper turn to pour his attention on these women.

I had to join them. Why? Because this man has shown me GOD. I am tearing up just thinking about it. God has used him to open my eyes to the glories of my God and King in ways that were then used to change me, strengthen me, humble me. How could I not tell him that God has used him in my life.

It's true, it was a feeble attempt to communicate the magnatude of my gratitude but I think that is because the glory and thanks belong to God. John Piper is merely His vessel and he would say the same thing. Praise be to God that He chooses to use us in each other's lives. Praise be to God that He allows us to participate in His glorious work, to show grace and glory and to exalt Scripture and share real stories. It is amazing.

In 2008 I went to the True Woman conference in Chicago. On my way there Pierce Brosnan and his wife stood in line before me, boarding the same plane. It was exciting. He is attractive and I still remember it BUT I was not compelled to give glory and thanks to God because I saw him. There was no need to thank him. There were no tears and there was certaintly no worship of God because of how Mr. Brosnan had been used in my life. It was only kind of neat.

As I spoke to Dr. Piper I tried to express how I am encouraged: Being a mom is wearying and sometimes tedious and often thankless. There are many blessings and joyful times too but it is easy in the repetion to lose sight of how God is working and to forget the value and honor God has placed on you as a mom. (no this is not what I actually said, it was more like: I struggle with feeling insignificant because I am at home with 5 kids all day) I will not forget his response: he scoffed at me! and then he asked "With five souls in your care, how can you feel insignificant?"

Those are heavy, fearsome and encouraging words. To find my significance in Gods perspecitive and definition of me and what He has given to me to do. It is a battle and I am reminded again by the interview that the fight will follow me wherever God takes me...but it is worth the fight. God is worth the fight and God will keep me in and thru the fight.

Praise Him!

If you would like to hear Dr. Piper's exalt over Isaiah 6, follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment