Sunday, January 25, 2009

Affections

I read a blog tonight that sparked an interesting line of thought. The issue was over what things spark affections for Jesus Christ and what things seem to drain affection---personally. I felt it might be a useful task to think through those things for myself.

Things that ignite and fuel my affections for Jesus (in no particular order):

1. Long walks with my Bible, some recorded songs of worship and my copy of the Valley of Vision (or a old hymnal)
2. Chipotle Burritos---its a glorious combination of flavor--I always thank God in a multiplicity of ways all the way through those meals.
3. Looking out the window of an airplane
4. Staring into the eyes of a baby who is captivated by me
5. Talking with somebody what God has done in the past
6. Time alone with my wife
7. Thanksgiving---the whole day
8. Singing to God when I'm all alone
9. The mountains and the wind
10. Expository preaching





Things that drain my affection for Jesus (in no particular order):

1. Too much TV
2. Too much time around people
3. Covetousness (including sexual lust)
4. Preachers whose sermons are more about what they think than what God says.
5. Most movies
6. Lack of sleep
7. Overeating
8. Caring too much about what others think of me
9. Worrying about my children or my wife
10. Not using my spiritual gifts on a regular basis

I fully expect this list to be amended and change in the future. These are the things that strike me tonight though. What about you?

-T

No comments:

Post a Comment