Saturday, August 31, 2013

Lemon Earl Grey Ice Cream

Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease I have had to stay away from most ice creams. Those hidden and suspicious form of gluten are nasty and just not worth it. Earlier this summer I purchased an ice cream attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer and have been experimenting with my own raw milk or coconut milk ice creams.

Today I decided to try a recipe that has been floating around Pinterest. Earl Grey ice cream. Yum! I love Earl Grey tea and I love ice cream so this was a beautiful prospect.

Here is the recipe I based mine on.

Lemon Earl Grey Ice Cream
1 Cup whole milk
2 Cups heavy cream
3/4 Cup sugar (I used raw turbinado but honey, maple syrup, or white sugar would work fine too)
6-8 bags of Earl Grey tea (depending how strong you like your tea. I used 6 but will try more next time)
5 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 - 1/2 cup lemon syrup (recipe following)

In a medium saucepan heat milk, cream, and sugar on medium heat. Stir frequently. When milk is steaming and sugar is dissolved add tea bags, cover, and turn off heat. Steep tea for 20 minutes.  Remove tea bags and return milk to heat.

Whip egg yolk and vanilla together in medium mixing bowl. 

When milk is steaming again add milk to egg yolk in a slow stream, stirring constantly. Add lemon syrup and return mixture to saucepan cooking until thick, coating the back of a spoon. Do not boil.

Let the custard cool completely (6-8 hours) I only cooled mine for 2 hours and it was a near catastrophe! I had to put my frozen ice cream bowl in another bowl of ice to keep it cool enough!

Following your ice cream maker instructions and enjoy!

I have seen this ice cream (minus the lemon) paired with lemon curd or lemon cake. You can also use the base for other tea combinations. I am excited to experiment.

Lemon Syrup
3/4 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
Zest of 3 lemons
2 cups water
1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)

In a small saucepan heat zest, water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add lemon juice and mix. Strain sauce through a fine sieve into a mason jar and cool. It's that easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment